Sunday, May 20, 2012

Missionary or Not

Sometimes I feel like a set apart missionary, and sometimes I don’t. I went to an activity the other day in another ward I served in. I had just come from Santiago and happened to be dressed in a white dress shirt and tie. When I “saludaba” (said hello and gave the besito), I could tell that some people thought I was a missionary for a couple of reasons. One, they responded to me by calling me “Elder,” and two, because some of the hermanas froze as I went in to kiss them on the cheek thinking I was doing something that missionaries aren’t supposed to.

I don’t feel like a missionary when I am in a business meeting in the middle of Santiago and an executive pulls out a cigarette to smoke in the middle of his office, or when the presentations given at meetings are not zone conference presentations anymore. I also didn’t feel like a missionary last Sunday as I watched the sister missionaries use our Internet here to Skype their families, and I could pick up my cell phone and call home at ease.

The strangest case, however, was Friday night as I felt like I was being pulled between the feeling like a missionary and me. I went to Viña to visit a convert and very good friend named Giancarlo. We share the same age and so we became very close friends while I was on my mission. It was different (but awesome) to not only talk about churchy things on Friday night, but also about how lame dating can be, or how we both have had similar young-adult-life experiences. After chatting at his place for a while, we went out to grab a completo (a big Chilean hotdog with avocado, tomato and mayo) and after went to a YSA activity at the stake center. A girl had asked that I meet up with her there and I tried to dance Chilean style with her, but I felt completely out of place. It was a blast, but I also laughed at myself as I felt like I was breaking mission rules.

This past week I have been staying with the Daine family. I love them very much and I will always feel indebted for the service they have rendered in my behalf. I woke up early one morning to make them an “American” breakfast, but what came out were probably the worst hash browns ever known to man. Hermana Daine made it up to me by surprising me with French fries, eggs, and ham for breakfast the following morning!

Today is the 20th of May and so you may hear about a big earthquake in Chile today. Some guy has predicted that an unprecedented earthquake is supposed to occur today, but despite all the buzz on the news, so far it has been really tranquilo. Last week, however, there was a mini earthquake that got our hearts racing!

To say it is such a cliché, but my favorite part has truly been being around all the people I love here in Chile. I enjoy simply observing what they do, and finding ways in which I can live life more fully. Sometimes it takes leaving home or going to another place or country to realize how many distractions we often let into our lives that are camouflaged as important or convenient. I see and know that true and lasting happiness comes by striving to apply the Atonement and Gospel of Jesus Christ in our lives. Living close to our Heavenly Father opens the windows of heaven, and blessings are truly poured out upon us. After we are tremendously blessed, we should give to others a portion of what we have been given. Seriously—what else matters? 

My bedroom at the Daine's

Barros Luco sandwich on the way back home from Santiago. Avacado, cheese, and steak.

American breakfast made better

Church grounds "Cumorah" in Casablanca. The stake had a big primary activity on Saturday and I helped with the transportation.

The Bishop's son Jared Guzman 

The Limache ward's collage on the word of wisdom 

Juan and Regina Daine after being sealed in the Santiago temple

2 comments:

  1. Ben!! It's really fun to read about your experiences and it sounds like you are having a great time! Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Ben!! thanks for the reminder of whats important!! You look great!!!

    ReplyDelete